When is high blood pressure an emergency?

My blood pressure constantly fluctuates, and I'm usually able to tell when it's high and reduce it. But are there times that I should go to the doctor?
I am sorry that you are having difficulty controlling your blood pressure, and hope that we will be able to help you. The best time to control your blood pressure is before it spikes to the high levels that you are implying. This means that you would need to speak with your doctor right now to make sure that you get on a regimen that helps you to stay safe. High blood pressure, especially when not controlled appropriately, can be a long term risk factor for serious medical issues such as heart disease. Fortunately, there is much that can be done if you address this, sometimes in an aggressive fashion and sometimes simply by monitoring your diet and exercising. The best answer to your direct question, is that, if you are worried about your blood pressure, you should speak with your doctor. Machines at home and the way that you feel can be indicators, but are far from perfect. Your doctor may wish you to use a different method. It is an absolute emergency when your blood pressure is causing your body to not function appropriately, such as causing injury to your kidneys, your eyes, or even your brain as with a stroke. Please speak with your doctor.