ZocdocAnswersIs it normal to have heart palpitations while pregnant?

Question

Is it normal to have heart palpitations while pregnant?

This is my friends third pregnancy and she's experiencing heart palpitations. She doesn't think it's a big deal because it's happened before. I've never heard of this. Is it normal?

Answer

While it is good for you to be concerned about your friend, there is always something difficult about providing advice for someone who is not overly receptive to it. Doctors run into this problem every day! On the other hand, it is always nice to have people who are concerned for you and are seeking to help you be healthy and well. Your friend may well know something about her condition that you don't know. In general, heart palpitations should be discussed with your doctor. Perhaps she has done this already. One of the big things that can cause your heart to beat in a different pattern intermittently is additional strain. Certainly, pregnancy can cause quite a large strain on the heart, with the additional blood volume that is required and the additional distance that the blood must be pumped to be able to supply the growing baby. For this reason, some palpitations during pregnancy are not altogether uncommon. Again, the key thing is for your friend to discuss this with her doctor to make sure that this is not a sign of something more serious. Please encourage your friend to discuss this with a doctor shortly to be safe.