ZocdocAnswersDoes angina increase my risk of having a heart attack?

Question

Does angina increase my risk of having a heart attack?

I always felt that I was in good physical health. But now that I have angina I am really nervous that I will have a heart attack. Are the two connected? What can I do to protect myself?

Answer

This is an interesting question that deserves a better response than I am able to give over the internet. I am happy that you are seeking medical attention, but would encourage you to speak with your doctor immediately if you are experiencing angina. Chest pain can come from many sources, but it can be a sign of a serious heart attack or even just damage to your heart that can accumulate over time and leave you in a condition where you are not able to function as you would like to be able to function. True angina can be difficult to diagnose, as there are other things that can cause chest pain, but it can be a medical emergency, and should be treated as such until your own doctor tells you otherwise. Most often, there will be some testing that is required to determine what is causing the pain. For that reason, it is vital that you speak with your doctor quickly about your symptoms, or go to the emergency room if you have not spoken to a doctor before. Angina can be a symptom of a heart attack in some people, and should be treated accordingly. Please speak with your doctor immediately.