ZocdocAnswersWhat are the heart benefits of regular exercise as an adult?

Question

What are the heart benefits of regular exercise as an adult?

I simply can't find time to work out. Between work, the kids and the house there isn't enough time in the day. Heart disease is in my family, does working out on a regular basis really reduce my risk

Answer

The short answer is that exercise is very beneficial, not just to your heart, but to you in many other ways as well. There is a large body of evidence that people who are active for more than 30 minutes most if not all days of the week live longer and have a healthier life than those who do not. However, it is a good idea to speak to your doctor before you start a new exercise routine. This is due to many different reasons, but some of them have to do with the way that your body uses the energy that it has and mobilizes additional resources. Others have to do with the effect that it has on the insulin in your body, and other reasons have to do with the chronic benefits of the weight loss that can come due to exercise. There are almost too many other reasons to mention, but the bottom line is that exercise can help you live a longer, healthier, and even happier life (as there is some evidence that it can help with depression as well!). It can be tough to find time to exercise, especially with a family, but this can be one of the best things that you can do. Again, please speak with your doctor before beginning a new exercise program and ask him about your question.