ZocdocAnswersWhy am I having period-like cramping even though I'm not on my period?

Question

Why am I having period-like cramping even though I'm not on my period?

Hi im 27/f ,married. lately I have been having period like cramping the past 4 days but I am not on my period. My period ended 2 weeks ago. Also with this cramping I am having a clear jelly like discharge ; it doesn't have an odor. Sometimes I have pelvic pain when I go pee or have a bowel movement. I had a CT of my abdomen and pelvis 4 months ago for stomach pain (I was constipated I guess) otherwise it was normal. I am not pregnant, I know that for a fact. I had an emergency C-section 8 months ago so I have a C-section scar. I am really worried; could this be cancer? I have an OBGYN appointment in 1.5 weeks but want an ease of mind ; I always think worst case scenerio

Answer

Cramping in the lower abdomen is a symptom of many underlying medical conditions, some of which do require prompt medical evaluation and treatment. I recommend that you visit your primary care physician. A thorough history would be helpful in evaluating your condition. Are you on hormone therapy such as birth control pills? Is this abdominal pain recurring every month or is it only started the past 4 days? If it is cyclical, there are several causes of pelvic or lower abdominal pain that relate to reproductive system. Endometriosis is a condition in which tissues from the lining of the uterus appear outside of the uterus on other organs in the body (i.e., abdominal cavity). It can cause very painful menstrual cramps that may get worse over time. Similarly, fibroids which are benign (not cancerous) muscular tumors that grow in the wall of the uterus can also cause this type of pain. Are you having pain that presents with nausea and vomiting and abdominal distention? It may be the signs and symptoms of partial small bowel obstruction. Patients with previous abdominal procedures or surgery will form scars in the abdomen which can predispose to having a bowel obstruction that sometimes can cause pain. Some sexually transmitted infections such as gonorrhea and chlamydia commonly cause cramping, menstrual-like pain between periods. Lastly, your constipation may be another cause of abdominal cramping pain. Please see your primary care physician to evaluate the exact nature of your condition and get a referral to a OB/GYN or surgeon if warranted.