Why would my dentist recommend oral surgery for an extraction?

My dentist recently recommended that I have oral surgery performed to remove two of my teeth that seem to be causing overcrowding. I am curious as to why the dentist would recommend going in for surgery as opposed to just having them extracted in her office. I am unsure if it has anything to do with pain management or if it is just a difficult procedure. Is there any specific reason why my dentist might say this? What are the potential advantages to having this surgery performed in a hospital setting rather than in her office?
It sounds like you have been having some difficulty with your teeth and dental health--hopefully these extractions will help with the overcrowding and alleviate any of the disruption to your bite and the overall health of your teeth. It sounds like your dentist might be concerned that the extraction of these teeth might be particularly difficult, and it will be helpful to have the expertise of an oral surgeon who has more specific experience with challenging extractions. In addition, depending upon the type of anesthesia or sedation that would be best for this level of procedure, it may be better for you to be in a hospital facility with the ability to perform more detailed monitoring during a procedure. Some dentists do perform extractions in their offices, but others either choose not to do it at all or to refer more difficult cases to oral surgeons. If you have any questions or concerns about your upcoming procedure, you should bring those up with your dentist to make sure you feel confident going into surgery. You should also plan to meet with the oral surgeon who will be performing the procedure prior to surgery day. If you have any concerns, you can always seek a second opinion.

Other Orthodontists