ZocdocAnswersWhen should I ask my optometrist about laser eye surgery?

Question

When should I ask my optometrist about laser eye surgery?

I have been wearing glasses since I was seven years old, and I?m nearing 24 now. I have heard that you have to wait until your prescription stops changing before you can have LASIK, and my eyes have been making only minor changes in the last few years. When is the best time to bring up the possibility of having LASIK? I am looking forward to the days when I no longer have to wear glasses or contacts to see; however, I also do not want to jump the gun.

Answer

It sounds like you have thought about this very carefully and it is great that you are paying attention to your health and trying to do the right thing to protect your eyes. The best place to start if you are considering corrective surgery to improve your vision is to make a consultation appointment with an ophthalmologist. An optometrist is someone trained in measuring vision and making glasses or contact lenses, but optometrists are not physicians and corrective eye surgery is done by specially trained eye surgeons. You will need to make sure that the type of correction your eyes need can be obtained safely with corrective surgery. And, you will need to make sure that you trust the physician who will be performing your surgery as there can be significant complications with LASIK surgery. Your optometrist or primary care physician should be able to suggest an ophthalmologist for you to see in consultation, and then you can have all of your questions about the procedure and the timing of the procedure answered. In addition, your eye doctor will want to perform a full dilated eye exam to make sure that you will be a candidate for corrective surgery. Good luck!