ZocdocAnswersDoes my eyesight decline with age even if I am still under 30?

Question

Does my eyesight decline with age even if I am still under 30?

I used to have perfect 20/20 vision. I could see the details on a person's face from across the room. But over the last couple of years that has changed. Stop signs appear blurry to me from distances that used to be crystal clear. I'm wondering if this is because of my age. But I'm not 30 yet. I thought your eyesight either starts out poor like when you are a kid and stays that way or it starts to get worse when you are much older. Is this too early for me to experience a decline in my eyesight or is this a normal part of aging even if you aren't over 30 yet? Should I be concerned?

Answer

It sounds like you have experienced a definite change in your health recently. You are absolutely correct to want to make sure that any changes with your vision are evaluated to make sure that your vision is not compromised for your future. There are many things that can affect one's eyesight, even in your 30's. In fact, difficulty with distance vision can commonly be seen in people who spend significant time working with computers and starting at screens. In general, the best thing for you to do is to seek evaluation with an eye doctor who can do a complete eye exam. This will involve checking your vision (which may show that your distance vision has indeed declined), examining the front chambers of the eye with a slit lamp, and dilating your eye with special eye drops that enable the vision to examine the retina at the back of the eye. Based on all of these exam findings, it will be possible to make sure that you don't have any serious things wrong with your eyes that would require intervention. And, if your vision has worsened, you can get a prescription for glasses or contacts and get back to have perfect eyesight.