ZocdocAnswersIs it healthy for my feet if I wear high heels?

Question

Is it healthy for my feet if I wear high heels?

I work in a job where it is customary for the female employees to wear high heels. I also like to wear boots with a bit of a heel. I never wear a very tall heel, but it is enough to feel a bit of discomfort at the end of the day. I admit that my feet do hurt a bit throughout the day, but I am more concerned about any long-term effects of wearing heels. Is there anything I can do to lessen any negative impacts of wearing high heels?

Answer

This issue would be a great one to discuss with your podiatrist or with your primary care doctor. The general rule with shoe wear is that if it hurts your feet then it is probably not good for you! Obviously, I understand that there are lots of factors when choosing what type of shoe to wear, but comfort and support for your feet should be at the top of every list! The types of minor medical problems that could emerge from wearing unsupportive shoes, including heels, might include chronic muscle tension and strain, either in the legs and feet or in the lower back. Many people who have these problems find that they resolve completely when changing to a different style of shoe. Additionally, there is a condition called Morton's neuroma, which is a painful neurological condition which is closely associated with wearing high heels and tight shoes, and which manifests as a sharp "stabbing" pain between the toes on the bottom of the foot. Please discuss with your podiatrist or with your primary care doctor, especially if you are having any chronic or persistent foot, leg or back discomfort. They will be able to help you figure out whether any further workup is needed and will also be able to make shoe recommendations!