ZocdocAnswersIs Invisalign worth the additional cost?

Question

Is Invisalign worth the additional cost?

I had metal braces as a teenager but failed to wear a retainer. As a result, my teeth are not as straight as I would like them to be. Now that I am in my 30s, I am considering braces once again. I really hate the idea of having to wear metal on my teeth again, especially because I work in a professional environment where I feel I won?t be taken as seriously. I also remember braces being incredibly painful. I would love to have the option of braces nobody else can see. Is Invisalign worth the extra cost?

Answer

This is a question that is difficult to answer and that merits a discussion with your dentist or orthodontist. There are obvious advantages to having invisible, or at least less visible, braces. These can be especially welcome in people, such as yourself, who are in a professional work environment and would like to avoid drawing attention to the fact that they are undergoing something often associated with a younger age group. Obviously, the braces are not completely invisible, and most people will still be able to notice that you have something in your mouth if they look closely enough. The specific cost benefit analysis will depend on how self conscious you are and how much you would feel bothered by the traditional metal braces that are so common. As you may be aware, even the latter kind of braces are becoming more common even in older people, and so this may not be as abnormal as you may think. The most valuable thing will be to discuss the question with your dentist or orthodontist to determine which option is best for you. He or she may have additional factors, and will be able to help you compare all options effectively. Please speak with your healthcare professional for more help with this question.