ZocdocAnswersWhat is the best way to replace a missing tooth?

Question

What is the best way to replace a missing tooth?

i've been putting this off, but i'm ready to fix my teeth. i've been missing a tooth since the beginning of last year.

Answer

This can be a difficult question to answer, and I recommend that you discuss it with a dentist or oral surgeon. The first question is whether or not it is the best idea to replace it. In some cases, there are situations where leaving things as is could be the best situation. Certainly this would be the minority of cases, but it is something that could be discussed with a trusted dentist or oral surgeon. For most situations, however, there are benefits to replacing a tooth. These include the prevention of bone resorption and the effects that a missing tooth can have on the remaining dentition. Obviously, as one tooth is missing there is the potential for the other teeth to settle and change the appearance of the rest of your mouth. Fortunately, this is generally a slowly progressive problem, giving you time to fix your teeth appropriately. Now, to answer your question, there are times that an implant is needed to replicate the original tooth that is now missing. In some cases, it is necessary to build up the bone stock in the area of the future implant so as to prevent other problems. All of this can add up in multiple ways, and so it is important to speak with your dentist or oral surgeon soon.