ZocdocAnswersWhy does my jaw hurt when I open my mouth?

Question

Why does my jaw hurt when I open my mouth?

As long as my mouth is closed, I don't have jaw pain. But the moment I speak or try to eat I get this pain.

Answer

Sorry to hear that you are suffering from jaw pain, and want to let you know that this can both be common and can often be readily treated. The key is diagnosing what your specific problem may be, so it's important to see a health care professional. You don't mention too many details, but one of the common problems is temporo mandibular joint dysfunction syndrome, in which the joint that moves the jaw is affected and doesn't move in the way that it should to make the jaw work and feel right. This can happen for many reasons, and most often it can be corrected with appropriate recommendations from a dentist or oral surgeon. In some cases, a mouth guard may be one of the best tools to fix the problem, in that it can help to keep the teeth from grinding. Now, it is important to realize that TMJ is just one of many problems that can cause jaw pain, and that is why you need to see a health care professional, to make sure that you are well and that there is not a bigger problem than TMJ. Please speak to your doctor or dentist to get the care you need to help you feel better.