ZocdocAnswersWhat would cause a stabbing pain in my abdominal area?

Question

What would cause a stabbing pain in my abdominal area?

it has been going on for over 10 days.

Answer

It sounds like this is a very upsetting situation for you. Whenever you have an acute change in your health like this, the best thing to do is see a physician right away for evaluation. If you are experiencing any fevers or chills, severe nausea or vomiting, or blood in vomit or stool, these are emergency warning signs and you should seek care in the emergency department right away. Otherwise, you should definitely see your doctor or a covering physician in an urgent care appointment right away. There are many different things that can cause stabbing abdominal pain, including an ulcer or gastritis in the stomach; inflammation of the gallbladder or gallstones; appendicitis, a small bowel obstruction, colitis (inflammation in the colon), ovarian cysts or other ovarian problems, diverticulitis, a kidney stone or infection, or pancreatitis. This list could go on and on, and clearly some of these diagnoses are more or less likely given your age, gender, and other health concerns. This is why seeing a physician for evaluation is so important. He or she can take a thorough history and put this together with a physical exam to try and identify the most likely causes for your pain. Laboratory testing or imaging studies may also be required.