Medical questions & health advice by board certified doctors

"What would cause a stabbing pain in my abdominal area?"

ZocdocAnswersWhat would cause a stabbing pain in my abdominal area?

it has been going on for over 10 days.

It sounds like this is a very upsetting situation for you. Whenever you have an acute change in your health like this, the best thing to do is see a physician right away for evaluation. If you are experiencing any fevers or chills, severe nausea or vomiting, or blood in vomit or stool, these are emergency warning signs and you should seek care in the emergency department right away. Otherwise, you should definitely see your doctor or a covering physician in an urgent care appointment right away. There are many different things that can cause stabbing abdominal pain, including an ulcer or gastritis in the stomach; inflammation of the gallbladder or gallstones; appendicitis, a small bowel obstruction, colitis (inflammation in the colon), ovarian cysts or other ovarian problems, diverticulitis, a kidney stone or infection, or pancreatitis. This list could go on and on, and clearly some of these diagnoses are more or less likely given your age, gender, and other health concerns. This is why seeing a physician for evaluation is so important. He or she can take a thorough history and put this together with a physical exam to try and identify the most likely causes for your pain. Laboratory testing or imaging studies may also be required.

Need more info?

See a doctor today

Zocdoc Answers is for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor (in the United States) 911 immediately. Always seek the advice of your doctor before starting or changing treatment. Medical professionals who provide responses to health-related questions are intended third party beneficiaries with certain rights under Zocdoc’s Terms of Service.