ZocdocAnswersWhat causes vagina itchiness during menstruation?

Question

What causes vagina itchiness during menstruation?

I'm having this itchiness on my vagina during the 3rd day (as far as I remember) of my menstruation. And I'm still experiencing it after a week of my period. I'm worried about it because this is the first time I experienced it. Is it my sanitary napkin, feminine wash or what? Help me, what do I have to do about it?

Answer

Vaginal itching can be very unpleasant, and hopefully you will be able to get these symptoms under control soon. The best thing to do is to see your primary care doctor or gynecologist about this issue. There are many different things that can cause this kind of itching, but one of the most likely is a vaginal yeast infection. If you have recently taken antibiotics you can be at risk for a yeast infection, but anything that increases moisture in the genital area can also make your more likely to develop this kin of infection. A yeast infection is not a sexually transmitted infection but is rather an overgrowth of the yeast that live on the skin. Unfortunately, they can be very very uncomfortable. The good news is that they are very easily treated with either topical or systemic anti-fungal medication (or even both). You should see your primary care doctor or gynecologist right away for a brief pelvic exam to make sure there are no signs of anything else. However, a yeast infection has a very specific appearance on exam so it is quite easy to diagnose. Depending upon your preference and other health concerns, you can get a prescription for either an oral anti-fungal medication or use a topical application. In either case, a vaginal cream can also be used to help with the itching.