Medical questions & health advice by board certified doctors

"What are small bumps all over my back?"

ZocdocAnswersWhat are small bumps all over my back?


There's just small bumps that itch really badly all over my back, I saw my doctor about this a year ago and he said it was just me allergic to the soap so I stopped using it but now they've come back??


Since this rash has come back, I would strongly recommend going back to see your doctor again for a repeat consultation. It is certainly possible that this is an allergic reaction to a soap or other chemical that you are coming into contact with. However, there are other possibilities as well. For example, in the summer months, "heat rash" is very common. This is caused by excessive sweating and irritation of the skin leading to plugging of the sweat ducts in the skin. It can be very itchy, but it tends to respond to gentle hygiene and cooling of the skin, as well as avoiding heat and sweating. It is also possible to have an "allergy" type inflammation of the skin without any specific chemical as the trigger. This is commonly known as "eczema" and it is treated with good skin moisturizing, avoiding of drying agents and hot water, and topical steroid creams. Finally, there are minor infections of the skin and hair shafts, such as folliculitis, that could present as you are describing. In short, I'd recommend getting in to see your primary care doctor or dermatologist right away - they'll help you figure out exactly what is going on and what treatment is needed.

Zocdoc Answers is for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor (in the United States) 911 immediately. Always seek the advice of your doctor before starting or changing treatment. Medical professionals who provide responses to health-related questions are intended third party beneficiaries with certain rights under Zocdoc’s Terms of Service.