Medical questions & health advice by board certified doctors

"Where do I go to get diagnosed for Asperger syndrome? "

ZocdocAnswersWhere do I go to get diagnosed for Asperger syndrome?


I may have aspergers 's syndrome how can I find out?


Asperger's syndrome is a condition that has been considered by some to fall along the autistic spectrum, and is considered by many at this point to be a variant of high functioning autism. For that reason and others, the term Asperger's syndrome is no longer considered to be a diagnosis by psychiatrists and other physicians that use the DSM-V (the guide book of diagnosis and their descriptions that is used by doctors to diagnose patients with psychiatric conditions). However, the important part of your question is helping you to get the help you need to function at the highest level for you, which is the purpose of any medical or psychiatric diagnosis. While your primary care doctor might be a good place to start, a psychiatrist is specially trained to help those with conditions such as those along the autism spectrum. If you have questions about this, I would encourage you to speak with your doctor to help you find a qualified psychiatrist so that you'll be able to get the answers and the help you need. Again, please speak to your doctor.

Zocdoc Answers is for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor (in the United States) 911 immediately. Always seek the advice of your doctor before starting or changing treatment. Medical professionals who provide responses to health-related questions are intended third party beneficiaries with certain rights under Zocdoc’s Terms of Service.