Medical questions & health advice by board certified doctors

"I have goose-like bumps on my penis, could this be an std?"

ZocdocAnswersI have goose-like bumps on my penis, could this be an std?


goose like bumps are around genitals and staff of penis


I cannot definitively answer your question, because that would require a physical examination by your primary care doctor. Therefore, I'd recommend making an appointment to have these bumps looked at. It sounds like, based on what you are describing, that these bumps are probably due to what are known as Fordyce spots. Fordyce spots are normal sebaceous (oil secreting) glands that are found under the skin on the genitals. The are completely normal and do not require any sort of treatment. However, at the same time, there are some sexually transmitted infections that might be confused occasionally with Fordyce spots. These include genital warts, caused by infection of the skin by the human papilloma virus. These warts tend to be fleshy and have irregular borders. However, when they are very small, they may be confused with other conditions. Your primary care doctor will be able to take a look and help you decide whether this is something that requires further workup. When you go to your appointment, make sure to tell them about your sexual habits, and any symptoms such as pain with urination or discharge from the tip of the penis, as these will help narrow down any potential causes of your symptoms.

Zocdoc Answers is for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor (in the United States) 911 immediately. Always seek the advice of your doctor before starting or changing treatment. Medical professionals who provide responses to health-related questions are intended third party beneficiaries with certain rights under Zocdoc’s Terms of Service.