ZocdocAnswersIs there any co-relation between the speed of typing text messages and heart rate?

Question

Is there any co-relation between the speed of typing text messages and heart rate?

If there is, can you give me an approximate numerical co-relation between the two? otherwise just a yes or no with a few words of explanation would be appreciated. Thanks.

Answer

I cannot tell from your question if you have a specific medical concern about your heart rate or rhythm. However, I encourage you to discuss this further with your primary care doctor, as whatever prompted this question could be a serious medical condition. In general, your heart beats faster in order to provide more oxygen-rich blood to your organs. This commonly occurs during exercise, but other situations like pain, anxiety, or oxygen deprivation can also increase heart rate. For most healthy adults, typing text messages is not considered aerobic activity and should not noticeably increase your heart rate. There is no reliable formula that describes a correlation between heart rate and typing at a specific words per minute rate. However, if you notice that your heart is beating rapidly, you should discuss this with your physician. In some situations, a rapid heart rate can be caused by an arrhythmia. Some common examples include atrial fibrillation, atrial flutter, and atrial tachycardia. You could also be sensing premature atrial or ventricular complexes, which are essentially early heart beats that originate outside the heart's normal conduction system. I encourage you to consult your physician about this. An initial evaluation for a rapid heart beat typically consists of a thorough history, physical exam, and EKG.