What are the chances that I'm pregnant?

My cycle came 5 days early, and ended 4 days early, with very light spotting the last 2 days and even lighter spotting on and off. I have been extremely tired, had very sensitive nipples right before my cycle. I have had cramps AFTER my cycle, and i have been occasionally nauseous and moody. My husband had a vasectomy about 5 years ago. What are the chances that i'm pregnant?
Overall, the best way to tell if you are pregnant is to see your physician for a physical exam and urine or blood pregnancy test. There are several specific findings on pelvic exam that are characteristic of early pregnancy and of course the blood pregnancy test looking for bHcg is very accurate. When it comes to pregnancy after vasectomy, it is certainly possible and does happen. If you are not using any other form of birth control, then your symptoms could be associated with early pregnancy. As you know, there is often light spotting during implantation and first trimester symptoms include fatigue, mood changes, sensitive nipples, and abdominal cramping (also associated with implantation). Classic morning sickness with nausea and appetite changes can also be typical. Your symptoms certainly do fit with early pregnancy and what you were thinking was a period may have been associated with pregnancy. It sounds like you and your husband were not planning on children (or any more children) if he had a vasectomy, so in order for you to make the best decision for your family, you should definitely see your doctor right away to determine if this is pregnancy or simply symptoms associated with a slightly atypical menstrual cycle.

• Dr. Harvey Lerner
    Dr. Harvey Lerner MD
    215 East Main Street
    Smithtown, NY 11787
  • Dr. Camilo Rincon
    Dr. Camilo Rincon MD
    7824 Lake Underhill Road
    Orlando, FL 32822
  • Dr. Syed Mujeeb
    Dr. Syed Mujeeb MD
    411 W. Parker Rd
    Houston, TX 77091