Medical questions & health advice by board certified doctors

"Will knee brace help me?"

ZocdocAnswersWill knee brace help me?


I used to play basketball and through the years my right knee has sudden pain when walking up or down stairs when i use the wrong pressure, my physiologist said i have a hyperactive leg muscle so its always contracted. He suggested me to do some stretches to relax this muscle which has helped alot. But after working long hours as a retail assistant my knee is starting to hurt, sometimes just walking will hurt, i was wondering if a knee brace will take the pressure off my knee while it heals abit? If so which ones?


You may find that a knee brace helps your symptoms, though it is important to discuss this with your doctor. Typically, knee braces are used to provide increased stability to the knee joint, but certain braces can be of some assistance in a wide variety of joint problems. There are many types of braces available, ranging from simple compression bandages all the way to custom made orthotic knee braces. I think doing stretches to alleviate the contracture in your leg muscle is a very good start to improving your symptoms. But if you are still experiencing significant knee pain, it may be a good idea to try a simple and inexpensive compression knee brace. These are available at any drugstore. The type of brace you should start with is typically white, stretchy, has a hole for your kneecap, and may have some flexible plastic ribbing running along either side of the brace. There is no harm in trying this kind of brace for a few weeks while you are working or exercising to see if it helps alleviate your knee pain. To reduce pressure and impact on your knee joint, you should also pay attention to your foot. Get a reasonably new, comfortable pair of shoes and, if you already have one, try using a shock absorbing heel cup or custom insole for your shoe. Good shoes and shock absorbing insoles can reduce impact transmitted to the knee joint. When you are experiencing knee pain, rest, ice, compression with an ace bandage, and elevation of the joint, sometimes coupled with anti-inflammatory drugs like Advil, will help reduce inflammation and pain. If you continue to suffer disabling knee pain after trying these conservative treatments, you should make an appointment with an orthopedist to see if you have damage to the cartilage, tendons, or ligaments of the affected knee. If this is the case, it can only be diagnosed in person by a physician and may require additional treatment or surgery.

Zocdoc Answers is for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor (in the United States) 911 immediately. Always seek the advice of your doctor before starting or changing treatment. Medical professionals who provide responses to health-related questions are intended third party beneficiaries with certain rights under Zocdoc’s Terms of Service.