ZocdocAnswersWhy does my anus bleed?

Question

Why does my anus bleed?

My anus bleeds nearly every time I have a bowel movement. Then burns about an hour or two after.

Answer

There are several causes of a bleeding anus after a bowel movement. It is difficult to pinpoint what has caused yours without a physical examination and thorough history. I would suggest that you consult a doctor soon who will look at it with a fine scope. Rectal bleeding is actually common. Symptoms usually develop quickly, and most causes are treatable and not serious. One cause of is that you have developed hemorrhoids from having been straining at bowel movements. Hemorrhoids can commonly develop because of chronic constipation, work strain, or anal intercourse. Blood is usually outside of the stool. Rectal bleeding can also be caused by anal fissures. An anal fissure, a split or tear in the lining of the anus, causes bleeding and burning pain after bowel movements. The pain is caused by a spasm of the sphincter muscle, and expands the tear to cause bleeding. Rectal bleeding can be a sign of a more serious condition, such as colorectal polyps or cancer in the colon, rectal, anus, or anywhere in the gastrointestinal tract. This is the primary reason rectal bleeding should not be ignored. Colorectal cancer can usually be cured if diagnosed and treated early. Please visit your doctor soon to rule it out and have your rectal bleeding diagnosed and treated properly.