Zocdoc Answers

Medical questions & health advice by board certified doctors

"Is there any way for me to get rid of my athlete's foot forever? "

ZocdocAnswersIs there any way for me to get rid of my athlete's foot forever?


I’ve been battling a small patch of athlete’s foot for many, many years. The best I can do is just keep it at bay, but I’m sick and tired of dealing with it. Is there any way, any way at all, for me to get rid of it forever? I’ll do what it takes, but I just want to stop worrying about it every day. Thanks!


Athlete's foot is a common fungal infection that may persist for long periods of time and I recommend discussing it with a foot care specialist. A persistent athlete's foot can be painful and make walking difficult. There are prevention measures you can take to keep it at bay and then eventually get rid of it. Athlete's foot breeds in any place that combines dampness and a lot of foot traffic (i.e, bathrooms, pools, and saunas, etc.) which leads to infection. To control the spread of infection, keep bathroom surfaces and towels clean. It is good idea to wear sandals or shower shoes. Paying special attention to foot hygiene by washing them with soap and water at least once a day, and ensuring that they remain dry thoroughly the rest of the time is key. You should get rid of your old socks and put clean ones on every day. If you do sweat a lot or get them wet, change them more often. Since this type of fungus thrives in wet, moist and dark places like shoes, you should give your feet a chance to allow air to circulation and take your shoes off while at home and wear sandals. You should also avoid wearing socks made of nylon or polyester that don't allow your feet to breath and also trap moisture. You can also apply topical anti-fungal powder or cream to the affected area and dust your socks and shoes with anti-fungal powder. If your foot condition does not improve, I would recommend a consultation with a foot care specialist to evaluate if you have diabetes or some other circulatory problem.

Need more info?

See a podiatrist today

Zocdoc Answers is for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor (in the United States) 911 immediately. Always seek the advice of your doctor before starting or changing treatment. Medical professionals who provide responses to health-related questions are intended third party beneficiaries with certain rights under Zocdoc’s Terms of Service.