Medical questions & health advice by board certified doctors

"Could this be a mild UTI??"

ZocdocAnswersCould this be a mild UTI??


I'm confused because I know something is wrong. I have lower belly pain, but it's very mild and it's only happened two times, I've had a burning sensation when I pee but once again that was only two times. My urine is normal but when I wipe there are red dots, I also have a dull ache in my pelvic region. I am not sexually active, this started about a week and half ago but I thought that maybe it had something to do with the fact that my period was coming on but it's over now and this symptoms persist. Could this be a mild UTI or something else?


It sounds like this has been a rather unpleasant situation for you. I recommend that you see your primary care physician about this. You are definitely correct that sometimes urinary tract infections can cause pelvic pain or pressure, burning with urination, and sometimes even blood in the urine. However, blood associated with a UTI is typically microscopic and not something that you could see with the naked eye. In addition, a dull ache in the pelvis can also be associated with problems with other reproductive organs, including the ovaries or uterus. Endometriosis can also cause dull and aching pelvic pain that is typically associated with the timing of the menstrual cycle. Your age and other health issues and medications are also very relevant when trying to sort out what is causing your symptoms. Overall, the best thing for you to do is to see your primary care physician right away. He or she can ask you more questions about your current complaints as well as put this together with your medical history. An examination may also suggest some additional clues to help identify what is going on. It will likely also be important to do a urinalysis and urine culture and possible basic blood work to see if you do have a UTI or evidence of another diagnosis.

Zocdoc Answers is for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor (in the United States) 911 immediately. Always seek the advice of your doctor before starting or changing treatment. Medical professionals who provide responses to health-related questions are intended third party beneficiaries with certain rights under Zocdoc’s Terms of Service.