ZocdocAnswers"Can I drive immediately after oral surgery, or do I have to wait a few hours?"

Question

"Can I drive immediately after oral surgery, or do I have to wait a few hours?"

I need to schedule a tooth extraction. Unfortunately, no one is available to take me to the doctors office. How strong is the anesthesia, can I drive myself home?

Answer

Sorry to hear about the tooth extraction. Additionally, it is unfortunate to have to deal with the inconvenience of not only arranging for your own schedule to allow for time off, but also to potentially have to ask someone else to help. Unfortunately, there is wide variability in the different types of oral surgery that you could be having, and the type that you are having will greatly affect the answer that I am able to give you, which is why the best thing to do is discuss it with your surgeon. There are many simple surgeries or tooth extractions that can be completed under local anesthesia. This means that the doctor would simply inject your tooth (rather, the region near it and the nerves that supply it) and you would be awake through the procedure. In general, most of these would allow you to drive yourself home without difficulty. For more complicated procedures, such as those in which it would be more comfortable for you to be sedated or asleep under general anesthesia, you would likely need someone to accompany you and provide you assistance, perhaps even more than just driving you home. As you can see, these are questions that you should address with your surgeon. Please speak with your surgeon or their office.