Can oral surgery correct sleep apnea?

My husband has sleep apnea and it makes me very nervous. Machines and equipment don?t seem to help. Is surgery possible?
Yes, there are surgeries that can effectively treat obstructive sleep apnea. In general, these surgeries are completed by ear, nose and throat surgeons (AKA ENTs or otolaryngology-head and neck surgeons) and I recommend scheduling an appointment. While there are many surgical options available, the most common procedures include those that alter the volume of the airway, usually via adjustment of the soft tissues of the mouth and throat. On the other ends of the spectrum, there are devices that can be used to hold the mouth in different positions and are effective for helping many people to reduce their symptoms of sleep apnea. Most oral surgeons would be able to help you with this problem, and would be able to quickly fit you for the correct device. An oral surgeon would also be able to help you if you wanted an even more aggressive surgical therapy, such as when the entire lower jaw is brought forward. As you can see, there are many options that are available to help with obstructive sleep apnea. At the same time, this also suggests that there is no perfect treatment available for any one person. The best answer is to speak with an ENT or an oral surgeon about your concerns.