ZocdocAnswersWhy do I have mucus on my eyeball?

Question

Why do I have mucus on my eyeball?

it has been in my eye for a few days now. what can or should i do?

Answer

Unfortunately, eye problems are both very common and very uncomfortable, which is why it is important to visit a doctor. There are actually multiple conditions that can caused increased amounts of mucoid secretions in the eye. Probably one of the most common causes of increased eye secretions is conjunctivitis, commonly known as "pink eye". This is actually a blanket term for several infectious and allergic phenomenon that cause irritation of the outer layer of the eyelid, called the conjunctiva. Other associated symptoms of conjunctivitis are crusting of the eyes in the morning, mild discomfort, sometimes itching, and redness of the eye and interior surface of the eyelid. Another very common cause of increased eye secretions is a corneal abrasion, which is just the medical term for a small scratch on the outer layer of the eye called the cornea. This usually occurs as a result of getting debris in the affected eye, or other minor trauma to the outer surface of the eye. The most common symptoms of a corneal abrasion are the sensation of still having a foreign body in the eye and increased tearing and secretions. In addition to those two conditions, there are many other less common conditions that can cause eye irritation and increased secretions. Many simple eye conditions can be diagnosed and treated by a primary care physician, so you may want to try making an appointment there first. An ophthalmologist has specialized training and equipment to diagnose and treat a much wider range of eye disorders, however seeing a specialist may be unnecessary depending on the type of problem you have, and a primary care physician can always refer you to an eye specialist if needed. In the meantime, do your best to keep the eye clean, well lubricated, and free of debris. Avoid touching the affected eye. Wear safety glasses in potentially dangerous environments. If you experience fever, swelling of the eye, increasing pain, or visual changes, have someone drive you to the nearest hospital as soon as possible.