Medical questions & health advice by board certified doctors

"Why is there pus in my urine?"

ZocdocAnswersWhy is there pus in my urine?


I've had a UTI that seems to keep coming back. Now that I've seen a doctor about it and have been on an antibiotic for about a week...I thought it would be getting better. Only now, I have what seems to be pus in my urine, actual pieces of it. Before my urine was just cloudy but now there's actual white sediment. Its gross and it doesn't seem normal when I'm almost done my antibiotic. My abdomen also still feels achy and bloated. Could this be something more serious?


Pus in the urine is very worrisome. I would strongly recommend you discuss this with your primary doctor. He or she may refer you to a specialist -- although which exact specialist would depend on what he or she finds. This is very worrying and should be addressed. There are many possibilities of what could be going on. Some people do in fact have repeated infections of the urinary tract. This can be caused by a few things -- such as diabetes, immunodeficency (a weak immune system) or occasionally anatomic problems with how your system has developed. Your doctor can help rule this out. There are also some conditions that mimic repeated urinary tract infections. These can include infections of other parts (such as the prostate in men, or the urethra in men or women). Sexually transmitted diseases like gonorrhea or chlamydia can also cause this. Other conditions that are not infections can also cause this. These can include cancer or other inflammatory issues. Sometimes kidney problems or blood problems can cause a change in the urine. These are more rare, but should be evaluated. Pus in the urine is never normal and should be evaluated by your primary care doctor. Please seek medical attention as soon as possible.

Zocdoc Answers is for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor (in the United States) 911 immediately. Always seek the advice of your doctor before starting or changing treatment. Medical professionals who provide responses to health-related questions are intended third party beneficiaries with certain rights under Zocdoc’s Terms of Service.