ZocdocAnswersWhat kind of doctor would deal with radial nerve entrapment/compression?

Question

What kind of doctor would deal with radial nerve entrapment/compression?

I incurred this issue from weightlifting.I have been dealing with this issue for 3 yrs and should have gotten it taken care of sooner. I have gone to a general doctor, who sent me to a hand doctor. The hand doctor said it might be pronator syndrome and sent me to a non sports medicine orthopedic surgeon who deals with he upper extremities. He diagnosed it as radial nerve entrapment and sent me to physical therapy and prescribed 3 ibuprofen 3 times a day. 4 weeks of phys therapy no changes, phys therapist sent me back to hand dr. Need to find a new Dr. Who deals with only these sorts of issues. I am a competitive strongman and powerlifter and they are both my life. This impacts both of them. thanks

Answer

So sorry to hear about your problem, and am also sorry to hear that you have been sent to see so many people at this point. While it is apparent that each of these is trying to treat you in the best fashion to be able to help you regain your former function, it can be difficult when you are required to follow up with multiple physicians. Obviously, each of the surgeons and doctors that you have met with wants to treat you in both the best and also the most conservative manner possible. That is, no surgeon wants to do surgery when there is a less aggressive treatment that can offer excellent results. For that reason, physical therapy is a great place to start. When it doesn't work, the next step is to move on to work with a doctor who specializes in this problem. It seems that your best bet would be to follow up with the second orthopedic surgeon who you had seen, given that he was the referring doctor to the physical therapist and usually you return to the referring doctor. Ultimately, it will likely be an orthopedic surgeon who specializes in upper extremity complaints who will be able to direct your care. Please speak with your doctor for more specifics, and further referrals if needed.