ZocdocAnswersDid I get a concussion from sailing?

Question

Did I get a concussion from sailing?

Hi, please help. It's 3:30 AM and I am afraid to go to sleep. Earlier today, I got hit in the head with a swinging boom. We were not gybing, but it still hit pretty hard. I did not black out. I have a slight bump on my head, but it has no color to it, but it does hurt when I touch it. I looked everywhere online, and so far I have no symptoms, but I am still afraid... I iced it for about 2 hours.

Answer

So sorry to hear about your head trauma. By the time you read this, you will likely (hopefully!) obtained an answer to your question. While this site is very effective at providing some general tips, it does not replace the advice of a physician with whom you are directly in contact. If you are having concerns about your health, or wonder if you can go to sleep after this sort of trauma, you always need to speak with your doctor or go to an emergency department rather than utilize this sort of resource. This is general advice rather than specific, and should be used as such. Now, there are certain symptoms that would be especially concerning. If you lost consciousness, were having trouble making out words or focusing, or were having difficulty moving your face or other body parts, this would be especially concerning. Also concerning would be if you have a laceration or wound on your head. Those would all be signs of the need to see a physician immediately. There are other reasons to speak with a doctor beyond those, however, and so you should speak with your doctor if you have any questions. Please speak with your doctor.