Medical questions & health advice by board certified doctors

"I'm tired of having to wear prescription eyeglasses and am considering contact lenses."

ZocdocAnswersI'm tired of having to wear prescription eyeglasses and am considering contact lenses.


But I am already at the stage in life that I have to wear bifocals and wonder how easy it will be to make the change to contact lenses at the age of 55. What are the advantages of wearing contact lenses over glasses and what type of contact lenses are the best to wear? I've read about disposable contacts that you only wear for one day before throwing them away. Are disposable lenses better for eye health than other contact lenses that you wear again day after day?


These are excellent questions, and it sounds like you have given the changes in your vision and the possible interventions some serious thought. Overall if you are considering making the switch to contacts, the best place to start is with your eye doctor or an optometrist. You should have a full eye exam to assess you visual needs and determine if you would be a good candidate for contacts or whether the need for bifocals might make that more difficult. Assuming that your vision deficits are amenable to contact prescriptions, the greatest difficulty most people have with contacts is the process of putting them in and taking them out. Some people find touching their eye or putting things in their eye to be very difficult, while others have no problem with it. You will not know where you fall in this spectrum until you give it a try. Your eye doctor or optometrist can also talk with you about the different kinds of contacts available and which might be best for you. There is no "right" choice for contacts, but you do want to make sure that you are able to handle the care and changing of lenses for whichever kind you might choose. Good luck!

Zocdoc Answers is for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor (in the United States) 911 immediately. Always seek the advice of your doctor before starting or changing treatment. Medical professionals who provide responses to health-related questions are intended third party beneficiaries with certain rights under Zocdoc’s Terms of Service.