ZocdocAnswersCould my migraines be caused by my needing glasses?

Question

Could my migraines be caused by my needing glasses?

I have been getting these horrible migraines lately. I also noticed that my vision was getting worse. I have troubles reading road signs in the distance. They are all blurry. My parents wore glasses, so I know that eyesight is a problem in my family genetics. Way down deep I know I need to get glasses to help me focus. Is that natural? Are some migraines caused by people needing glasses?

Answer

Yes, you are right to think that your worsening eyesight might be contributing to your headaches. Strain on your eyes is a common cause of headaches and sometimes migraines. However, it is very important that you see your primary care doctor in addition to your ophthalmologist or optometrist to make sure that there isn't something else that could be causing or contributing to your migraines. This is especially important if you have not had migraines in the past. Although migraines are often benign, they can sometimes be associated with more serious conditions, such as a brain tumor so it is very important to see your doctor, who depending on your history and physical, might send you to a neurologist or order imaging of your head, such as a CT scan or an MRI. In addition to seeing your primary care doctor as soon as possible, also schedule an appointment with your eye care professional to make sure that it is indeed just worsening vision and not a more serious eye concern such as glaucoma or cataracts that is causing your blurry vision. In summary, although it is very possible that it is just worsening vision causing your headaches, it is very important to seek care to ensure that it is not something more serious.