ZocdocAnswersShould I be afraid to try contact lenses?

Question

Should I be afraid to try contact lenses?

I am thinking about trying contact lenses, but I don't know where to start or how to search for the type contacts that I need. I am tired or wearing eyeglasses. First of all, I lose them all of the time, and because of this, I had to buy extra pairs of glasses to keep in other rooms of the house. There seems to always be an indention at the top of my nose, and since my skin is oily, every time I touch the lens of my glasses, my fingers leave an oily spot. My biggest fear is that I will be able to feel the contact lenses in my eyes and will not be able to wear them, and that I may not be able to get them in my eyes properly. Should I be afraid to try contacts?

Answer

At least for most people, it is not necessary. Contact lenses can be an excellent solution for patients, such as yourself, who have come into contact with some of the problems that we all occasionally have with glasses. They also have the benefit of allowing others to see one of the most beautiful features for almost anyone: your eyes! It is therefore important to discuss this with your doctor. While contacts are initially somewhat different, and many people will briefly feel the lens resting gently on top of the eye, this quickly resolves for most people. Furthermore, your eye doctor will be able to recommend a lens that works well for you, and most of the time you should be able to trial a pair of lenses to determine if they are right for you before you commit to buying them. This both allows you to see if you can tolerate the lenses, and also allows you to determine if they are the missing thing that you were looking for. Most people will find it helpful to have a pair of glasses and contact lenses for use in different situations, depending on what your prescription may be. Please speak with your doctor for more details and to determine if you might be a candidate for contact lenses.