Medical questions & health advice by board certified doctors

"Will putting contact cleaning solution in the eye by mistake damage vision permanently?"

ZocdocAnswersWill putting contact cleaning solution in the eye by mistake damage vision permanently?


Please help me. I was helping my 12-year old put in his contact lenses because he still has not got the hang of it. I always put his saline drops in his eyes first, then the contacts, and then saline again. We were running late this morning, and as I was getting ready to put in saline drops, I picked up the bottle to the lens cleansing solution instead and dropped them in his eye. It had a red tip on it, but unfortunately, I just didn't pay attention. Needless to say, he screamed because his eye was stinging severely. When I realized what I had done, I started flushing his eye with saline. His eye has been red all day, and he says his vision is blurred. Is this going to damage his vision permanently?


This sounds like a very upsetting situation, and hopefully you can have some reassurance after speaking with an eye specialist. Your son should have his vision examined right away to ensure that no permanent damage was done and to institute any further preventative measures as soon as possible. If you cannot get a same-day appointment with your son's eye doctor or another ophthalmologist in the practice, you should go to the emergency department for evaluation right away. Your son may need more extensive flushing of his eye with a specially-designed eye faucet. Even though you did flush with saline at home, he will likely need at least 15-20 minutes of high-flow flushing with water or saline that cannot be easily done at home. Depending upon his eye exam in the ED, the physicians there may want the on-call ophthalmologist to come examine him which is why it is so important to seek care right away. In general, eye irritants can often cause ciliary flushing or irritation and blurred vision transiently, and we certainly hope that your son's vision will resolve and not be permanently affected. However, the best way to protect his vision is to seek urgent evaluation immediately.

Zocdoc Answers is for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor (in the United States) 911 immediately. Always seek the advice of your doctor before starting or changing treatment. Medical professionals who provide responses to health-related questions are intended third party beneficiaries with certain rights under Zocdoc’s Terms of Service.