ZocdocAnswersShould I get Lasik surgery?

Question

Should I get Lasik surgery?

So my first question is what qualifies you for Lasik? Is there a way that I can know at home whether or not I'm a good candidate, or is this something that can only be done in an optometry office. I have an astigmatism. Is this an issue for Lasik, does it not matter, or does it depend on the degree? What is the ideal age bracket to get Lasik? I'm nearsighted, so should I wait until I begin to get farsighted as well due to aging? Will Lasik compensate for the eye's natural decline due to aging? or will I end up back in glasses?

Answer

These are all very good questions, and you have clearly thought carefully about the option of corrective surgery for your vision. In this case, the absolute best thing you can do is make an appointment with an ophthalmologist (not an optometrist) to discuss your vision, your overall health, and the possibility of corrective surgery. An ophthalmologist is a physician who deals with eye conditions, including surgery such as LASIK, while an optometrist is not a physician but rather someone who does general eye exams and arranges for glasses or contacts. You need to talk to a surgeon who performs the procedure to have your specific questions answered. You will need a full eye exam to assess whether you are a good candidate for the surgery or not, and you are correct that having an astigmatism can alter whether or not a surgeon thinks your vision can be suitably adjusted with LASIK. The procedure does not mean that you may not develop further eye problems with age, so you do want to talk carefully with a physician who performs the procedure about when is the best time for you to pursue it. Also, after talking with a surgeon and hearing about the risks and benefits of the procedure, some people do elect to wait or not to have the surgery. Your best option is to be able to discuss all of the details with an eye specialist. Good luck!