ZocdocAnswersCan pregnant women go see a chiropractor?

Question

Can pregnant women go see a chiropractor?

I know that I have to be extra careful with everything that I do because I am pregnant, but my back has been killing me lately. I can barely stand up straight, and I cannot find a comfortable position to sleep in. I think I am dealing with something a little more than just regular pregnancy discomfort. Is there anyway to find relief through the help of a chiropractor without harming my baby?

Answer

This is a great question. When you are pregnant, your body is going through some amazing physiological changes to make room for your growing baby, however, these can wreak havoc on your spine and joints and your overall alignment. Chiropractic care is usually safe during pregnancy and can be quite beneficial for many who are suffering from aches and pains. However, it is imperative that you discuss this with your obstetrician before making an appointment as he or she needs to make sure that there isn't anything else that could be contributing to your back pain and that you don't have any other risk factors that would make chiropractic care unsafe. Also, many times, your obstetrician may have a chiropractor that he or she can recommend who specializes in the care of pregnant women. There are special tables or pillows that a chiropractor can use and techniques that avoid pressure on the abdomen. Chiropractic care can be a great way to relieve pain and avoid the use of medications. Talk to your obstetrician as soon as you can to discuss your options as you do not want to be in pain any longer than you need to be.