Could my posture be causing severe headaches?

Lately, I've been getting very severe headaches, usually at night before I go to sleep. I notice that the headaches are most often accompanied by pain in my upper back and neck. I spend a good portion of my workday typing at a computer, so I've grown accustomed to the frequent back pain from hunching and slouching over my desk for such long periods. However, these headaches seem to be a new symptom that's developed, and I'd like to know if my posture could be causing them.
Headaches are very common. Most everyone gets headaches at some point. That being said, severe or repeated headaches are not normal. I would suggest you see your primary care doctor to have this evaluated. There are many types of headaches. One of the most common types is what we call tension headaches. These occur because the muscles/nerves surrounding the head are under stress and thereby lead to head pain. This may be what you are describing. Certainly, neck pain or strain in the neck muscles can cause this. You should address this with your primary care doctor. You may require a different ergonomic setup at your computer to avoid this. A new pillow is also a common cause of new onset tension headaches as occasionally the pillow causes neck strain. That being said, there are other causes of headaches that should be ruled out. These include migraine headaches which require a different treatment. Problems with vision can also lead to headache. While everyone always worries about a brain tumor, this is an exceedingly rare cause of headaches. I would recommend you see your primary doctor. They can hopefully diagnose your type of headache and set you on the path to recovery. Good luck!

Other Neurologists