ZocdocAnswersShould I be going to the chiropractor if I am pregnant?

Question

Should I be going to the chiropractor if I am pregnant?

I have been going to the chiropractor every once in a while for the last two years and I have been seeing some amazing results. Just last week I found out that I am six weeks pregnant and I am rethinking it. I have heard from friends that even at this early stage, going to the chiropractor can hurt my baby. Of course I intend to tell the chiropractor that I am pregnant, but I would like to know if it is still a good idea for me to go in for my next appointment.

Answer

Congratulations on your pregnancy. Early pregnancy is an exciting time but can also be quite nerve-wracking as you want to make sure you are doing everything right for your baby. Chiropractic care is usually safe, and can actually be quite beneficial, during pregnancy. During pregnancy, there are several physiological changes that occur which can contribute to or cause misalignment of your spine and joints. However, in addition to informing your chiropractor, it is imperative that you discuss this with your obstetrician immediately before resuming chiropractic care as only he or she is aware of your general health and certain risk factors for you and your baby. If you get the go ahead to resume chiropractor appointments from your obstetrician, make sure that your chiropractor is comfortable treating pregnant women and has all the appropriate certifications and training. Chiropractors that have been trained to work with pregnant women may use special tables or pillows and will use techniques that avoid pressure on the abdomen. So, in summary, although chiropractic care is usually safe and helpful during the many changes of pregnancy, do not go to any further appointments until you have had a full discussion with your obstetrician about the risks and benefits of chiropractic care during pregnancy.