ZocdocAnswersWhy do I get such bad back pain at the end of my workday?

Question

Why do I get such bad back pain at the end of my workday?

I have a desk job, so I sit in front of a computer for at least eight hours a day. I do have time to get up and walk around for a few minutes every hour, but largely, I am typing on the computer or filling out paperwork. At the end of each day, my back feels physically exhausted and very sore. The muscles ache as though I have just had a very active workout even though I?ve actually been pretty lethargic and immobile all day. Why do I experience such bad back pain at the end of each workday, and is there anything that I can do to minimize this pain?

Answer

Back pain is a very common condition. Unfortunately, it can also be also be very debilitating and painful. As such, it is important to treat the onset of back pain very early before it worsens. I would recommend you discuss this with your primary care doctor. He or she may refer you to a specialist, but often this can be readily treated with the help of your primary doctor. There are many causes of back pain. In general, any part of the back can "act up" and cause this pain: 1-The bones. The back bones are actually a series of bones known as vertebrae that make up the spine. Like any bone, there can be wear and tear as we age. This is known as osteoarthritis. If the bone is very damaged over time, this can lead to bone on bone rubbing and significant pain. 2-The muscles. The muscles around the back actually work all day to keep the spine straight and aligned. Depending on your position, these muscles can tire and become strained/sprained. 3-The nerves. At each level of the spine, the nerves leave and go to feed (or inervate) the body. Sometime these nerves can be pinched or damaged and cause pain. See your primary care doctor. It may be your position or chair, but treating this early is important.