What causes arthritis?

I have been having pains in my knee during daily activities and was wondering whether it may be related to arthritis. I know nothing about the disease, but I've heard that there are two different types, and medical treatments are available to improve my mobility and reduce my pain levels. I was talking about my problems with a friend who also has arthritis. They told me that my arthritis was caused by the degradation of tissues and fluid in the area surrounding my joints and was a natural result of the aging process. That being said, the problem seems to get worse with the weather, and the pain can be excruciating when it is raining or humid outside.
Arthritis is a very common condition. Unfortunately, it can also be very debilitating and painful. Arthritis can worsen over time, so early diagnosis and treatment are important. I would strongly recommend you see your primary care doctor to have this evaluated. If he or she sees fit, they may refer you to a specialist who can further help. Arthritis is a term that refers to inflammation of the joints. As you mentioned, there are two broad categories of arthritis: 1-Osteoarthritis is the most common cause of arthritis. This occurs as the joint undergoes wear and tear over many years of use. This commonly effects older adults. As we use the joint, the lubrication and cushioning wear out and then the bone on either side of the joint can touch, causing "bone on bone" pain. 2-Inflammatory arthritis. This cause of arthritis includes many diseases such as rheumatoid arthritis. This generally occurs when when the body attacks the joint causing pain and inflammation. This can affect younger adults and is more common in women. The treatments for the two types differ quite a bit. Unfortunately, if left untreated this can worsen. I would strongly recommend you see your primary care doctor to have this evaluated.