ZocdocAnswersAre hot foods permitted after oral surgery?

Question

Are hot foods permitted after oral surgery?

I am having oral surgery in a few days, and I am trying to buy some foods that I can eat while my mouth heals. Naturally, I am going with a lot of liquid foods, like soup. What I wanted to know was whether or not very hot foods would be bad for me. Should I just warm the soup up halfway and then eat it, or can I warm it up just like I normally would? What about something a little thicker, like chili? Is there a recommended temperature that I should try to keep my liquid food under?

Answer

These are all excellent questions, and I should be able to help you with some general information. As you know, however, the specifics after your surgery will need to be addressed with your surgeon. Each surgery is very variable, as is each patient. Something that would normally be perfectly appropriate for one patient might not be a good idea for the next. For that reason, any recommendation should be discussed with your surgeon. He or she may quite well have a handout for you before or at the time of surgery that can also answer many of these questions. Now, in general, soft foods such as soup are perfectly fine after surgery. Most of the time, your body will let you know what is too hot after surgery, as you will have more pain than you usually would if something is not OK. You will likely find that eating soup in the normal fashion that you are used to will be just fine by following this rule. Please be cautious as you proceed, and do use some common sense. If you have specific questions, and even with regards to this question, please discuss it with your surgeon before or after surgery.