Medical questions & health advice by board certified doctors

"How should I choose an oral or maxillofacial surgeon?"

ZocdocAnswersHow should I choose an oral or maxillofacial surgeon?


I was recently a victim in a car accident that unfortunately knocked out some of my front teeth. I am healing nicely otherwise, but I suspect I will need a specialist to figure out how to piece me back together. What should I look for in choosing an oral surgeon for car accident victims? Also, is this type of procedure one that can be performed in the office, or will an overnight hospital visit be required?


Sorry to hear about your accident, and hope that you recover soon. Determining a specialist of any sort can be a stressful endeavor and it's a good idea to speak with your dentist or healthcare provider. This is especially true if you are looking for a surgeon or proceduralist who will be doing something that will last, hopefully, for the rest of your life. For that reason, there are many sites that are developed to help you find someone that you can trust and who will do well. In addition to the online resources that are available, word of mouth can be invaluable. Your dentist or friends will also have people that they recommend, although you should realize that your dentist will often have reciprocal relationships with this person. This means that one of the most important things will be meeting with the person and determining if you are on the same page. Board certification and specialist training are important criteria as well, and should be considered. Finally, the state medical or dental board may have some information available about a physician, and should be able to help you if you are worried about any past history of complaints against your specialist. Please speak with your dentist or healthcare provider for more information.

Need more info?

See a dentist today

Zocdoc Answers is for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor (in the United States) 911 immediately. Always seek the advice of your doctor before starting or changing treatment. Medical professionals who provide responses to health-related questions are intended third party beneficiaries with certain rights under Zocdoc’s Terms of Service.