ZocdocAnswersHow can I know if I have dry socket?

Question

How can I know if I have dry socket?

After delaying for several years, I finally had my wisdom teeth removed. Although I wanted to wait and only have two done at a time, the doctor insisted that it would be quicker and easier to take all four at once. Since the procedure, I have experienced a lot of pain and swelling. I didn?t think it would be nearly this bad. I can talk, but the swelling on the left side is still really high. My mouth is extremely sensitive too. I am petrified that I will end up with dry socket. How can I tell if this has happened?

Answer

So sorry to hear that you are in the middle of suffering from this condition. I can only hope that by the time you receive this communication your complaints and pain have already decreased significantly. There are definite advantages to having all of the wisdom teeth removed simultaneously. As you are experiencing, however, there are some disadvantages that some feel as well. With regards to determining when you are having a complication, the best answer is to always speak with your surgeon or his or her office if you have any questions. He or she will know what is to be expected from the surgery that you have had, and what things are variations from the norm. For most people, dry socket would initially present as increasing pain several days after the surgery. This would be especially prominent because the pain would have been "on the mend," meaning that it would have been decreasing, before it started to become worse. If this happens, then you should speak to your surgeon immediately, as there are things that can be done to decrease the pain and to help you to recover both better and faster. Please speak with your surgeon about your question.