Why are a person's ears associated with TMJ syndrome?

The last time that I visited my regular dentist, I heard him talking about this new TMJ syndrome, and he asked me about whether my ears or jaws were hurting. I'm wondering what the connection would be between my ears and my teeth, and I'm quite curious about why my dentist was asking me questions about this new disease or whatever it is. My best friend was telling me that he thinks that the entire TMJ syndrome is just one big scam that the dentists have made up in order to make more money. That being said, I don't think that I've got the TMJ, but my ears do hurt a lot while I'm chewing up food.
There are certainly many people who feel that temporo mandibular joint disorder syndrome is quite real, and many of them have complaints related to their ears. TMJ syndrome describes inflammation of a joint in your jaw and I recommend discussing it with a doctor. Like any other joint in the body, this can be inflamed for many reasons. One common reason is due to teeth grinding (bruxism), which often occurs in the night and is often associated with stress. Due to the chronic load that is placed on the joint of the jaw (TMJ joint), the cartilage of the joint can break down. This then leads to chronic pain, as with any other joint with degeneration. Surgical advancements offer many solutions, but most patients can be managed with prevention such as mouth guards. The reason that the pain is felt in the ear is due to the innervation of the joint and the ear being so close. Please speak with your doctor.

Nearby Dentists

• Dr. Linda Winter
    Dr. Linda Winter DMD, FAGD
    Dentist
    1445 North Ridge Road

Other Dentists