ZocdocAnswersWhich painkillers should I use?

Question

Which painkillers should I use?

I am a junior in college, and I am finally going to have my wisdom teeth taken out. They are not really causing me any pain right now, but they are compacted and so I know that they could be a problem in the future. I think I should get them taken out just so I can avoid having an emergency surgery in a few years. I would rather do it on my timetable. That being said, I wanted to know what the best painkillers were for the days after my surgery. I remember when my friends had this done, and they said it hurt a lot while they were healing. Which painkillers would you recommend? Which ones are going to work the best?

Answer

Having any sort of surgery or procedure can be painful, and sometimes the build up to the actual procedure, including all of the anxiety and arrangements that are required, can be the worst part. Speaking with patients who have had the procedure done previously can either hurt or help with this, but it can provide some perspective. Additionally, and most importantly, you can speak with your surgeon about what you are going to have done and what you can expect. Most often his or her office will have a hand out that you can use and refer to just to make sure that your surgery and recovery are on target and that you will have guidelines to help you know what to do and what not to do while you recover. With regards to pain medication, most surgeons will have a preference that they feel has been effective for them in the past. If you have a medication that you have used in the past, then this is worth mentioning to your doctor before the surgery to see if that would be worth trying again. In general, mild opioid analgesia is offered, and patients may or may not need to use this. Please speak with your surgeon.