ZocdocAnswersShould I wear special clothes the day of my oral surgery?

Question

Should I wear special clothes the day of my oral surgery?

I'm preparing for an oral surgery because I need to have several teeth removed and an implant installed, and I'm curious to know if there are any special types of clothes that I should wear on the day of my appointment. I really can't remember if my oral surgeon said anything about the issue, but I do remember him talking about not wearing any perfume or strong scents. My best friend works in a dental office, and she said that it's not a big deal and that I should just try to be comfortable. I think that my surgery is supposed to last for an hour or more, and I want to be ready beforehand. That being said, I would like to know if there's certain clothes that I should stay away from.

Answer

Thanks for being thoughtful before you go into your surgery. While the best idea is to always speak with your surgeon and their office before hand, in general there is some advice that can be followed. First, realize that you are going to be there for some time and will want to stay comfortable. While attractive clothing may be nice, your comfort is imperative to help you remain still so your surgeon can take care of what is needed. Second, remember that this is a procedure that can sometimes involve bleeding and will almost always involve some bodily secretions and irrigation. This means that there is potential for staining your clothes, so consider that into your decision as to what to wear on the day of surgery. Other suggestions may include dressing in layers to make sure that you are comfortable whether the office is hot or cold. In general, however, this is not something that should trouble you too much. Your surgeon and his or her office will be able to work with you to help you should something not be exactly right on the day of surgery. Please speak with their office before hand to make sure you are ready.