Will I ever lead a normal life again with Congestive Heart Failure?

When I found out I had congestive heart failure, it seemed like everything came to a screeching halt - my activities, my job, the things I could do for my family. I couldn't have the food I loved anymore. I understand that I need to take it easy, take frequent rests in between activities and housework, and watch my diet, but it is so hard to make the changes I need to in order to live with this condition, even though I know that those changes are crucial for my survival. All I want to do is lead what I call a normal life again, but every time I attempt to live normally, the CHF rears its ugly head. Is there anything I can do to help the transition to my new lifestyle and seem normal again?
Congestive Heart Failure (or CHF or simply heart failure) is a very common condition that affects millions of Americans. Unfortunately, it can be debilitating for some. Fortunately, there are many food treatments that can used to help people live a "normal" life. I would strongly recommend that you discuss this with your doctor. A heart specialist or cardiologist can often be very helpful. Keep in mind that there are many types of heart failure and these range from very severe to very mild. There are some people who can live normal lives -- but this does require adherence to a specific regimen. Please talk to your doctor more. The key to maintaining a normal life involves having a good medical regimen (talk to your doctor about this -- there are dozens of medicines available, and he or she can help the right ones for you) as well as maintaining healthy lifestyle choices. This can be hard. These include eating a low salt diet, watching what your drink, limiting alcohol, exercising regularly and maintaining a healthy weight. Sometimes the above diet/exercise and medications can be burdensome. But over time people get used to it and it does not influence your life very much. If you do these things, you can hopefully lead a normal life despite CHF. Again, please discuss with your doctor. Good luck!

Other Cardiologists