Why does my cough taste like garlic?

Hello I am a 29 year old, for the most part, healthy female and my problem is a stubborn cough. I have had this cough that is crackly and wheezy, for a little over two months. No other symptoms came with this such as stuffy nose sneezing or fevers. At first the phlem tasted horrible like possible infection but that went away so I never went to see a doctor about it, plus I smoke so I ask for the illnesses to last longer then most, but now every time I cough it almost tastes like garlic and I'm a little scared now, I have a doctors appointment in a week but if this symptom can't wait and I must be seen now I would like to know. Thank you for your time and have a great day.
So sorry to hear that you have been suffering from this cough and bad taste for such a long time now. Hopefully you are already feeling better by the time you read this. If you have not seen a physician, then I would encourage you to follow up with your doctor about your complaint. As you mention, those who smoke do have a higher risk of developing numerous conditions, and it is common for normal infections to persist for a longer time due to the decreased natural healing ability of the body (as well as the chronic state of inflammation that is caused by smoking). Hopefully, there will be a silver lining in that this cough may encourage you to stop smoking for good. Regardless, any cough that persists for that amount of time should be evaluated by a physician. A productive cough can be a sign of a persistent infection, but so can coughs that do not bring anything up. Your doctor may need to culture some of the sputum that you are coughing up, or perform other tests such as getting a chest x-ray to make sure that everything is working the way that it should. Please speak with your doctor.

• Dr. Paul Leitner
    Dr. Paul Leitner MD
    8540 South Sepulveda Blvd
    Los Angeles, CA 90045
  • Dr. Harvey Lerner
    Dr. Harvey Lerner MD
    215 East Main Street
    Smithtown, NY 11787
  • Dr. Brian Price
    Dr. Brian Price MD
    3607 Manor Rd
    Austin, TX 78723