search

location

insurance

close

Medical questions & health advice by board certified doctors

"I'm 19 weeks pregnant and I'm having sharp pain under my stomach . What should I do?"

ZocdocAnswersI'm 19 weeks pregnant and I'm having sharp pain under my stomach . What should I do?

Question

what should i do or what could it be???

Answer

This must be a very alarming situation for you. The best thing to do in this situation is to get in touch with your obstetrician right away and let him or her know about your symptoms. He or she will likely want you to come into the office for a more thorough history and exam. Of course if your pain becomes severe or you experience any vaginal bleeding, lightheadedness, nausea, or vomiting, you should also go to the emergency department right away for further evaluation. There are many different things that can cause abdominal pain in pregnancy, both diagnoses related to the pregnancy as well as all of the things that can cause abdominal pain in anyone else. In the second trimester it is not uncommon for women to start having increasing symptoms of gastric reflux or gallbladder stones, and these may well be causing the sharp pain you describe. Appendicitis can also occur in pregnant women, and the location of the pain can be atypical because the expanding uterus compresses the appendix up. In addition, abdominal pain could always be related to the pregnancy, and any concerns with the placenta or possible early labor should be investigated immediately. You should let your OB know about this right away and follow his or he instructions to help protect your pregnancy and your health!

Need more info?

See a doctor today

Zocdoc Answers is for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor (in the United States) 911 immediately. Always seek the advice of your doctor before starting or changing treatment. Medical professionals who provide responses to health-related questions are intended third party beneficiaries with certain rights under Zocdoc’s Terms of Service.

Find doctors by city
Find doctors by specialty
Find doctors by popular insurances