ZocdocAnswersI feel dizzy and hear voices. What should I do?

Question

I feel dizzy and hear voices. What should I do?

This happened to me a lot during the ages of 10 - 12, I would start to feel really dizzy and I wouldn't be able to see straight, normally it got to the point where I would actually have to lay down. when I would lay down I would have to close my eyes because everything would be swirling. I would then hear voices which sounds crazy but I did, the voices sometimes would be really quite to the point where you could barely hear them, but then at other times the voice or voices would be screaming so loud, however mostly they just repeated what they where saying over and over again. mostly this happened for about 40 seconds and then I would snap out of it, normally I wouldn't remember what they/it had said. Being young I didn't think much of it. It went away for a few years but now its back, I don't know what to do.

Answer

Transient periods of dizziness, disorientation, and auditory hallucinations are definitely symptoms that you should be evaluated by a physician promptly. There are really two major patterns of illness that your symptoms could fall into. The first is major psychiatric illness. Some serious psychiatric disorders can cause auditory hallucinations and periods of disorientation. These are associated with behavioral abnormalities and difficulty maintaining social relationships with other people. Such illnesses often begin in childhood and trouble people throughout their lives. While a psychiatric problem is possible, people with these problems often do not have the level of insight into the problem that you are demonstrating by recognizing your symptoms as unusual and asking a question about them online. Also, psychiatric problems tend to be more constant and dizziness would not be an especially common symptom. The other medical disorder that could explain your symptoms would be partial seizures. This actually seems reasonably likely given your symptoms, but you cannot be diagnosed with seizures unless you see a neurologist in person and receive special testing. A seizure is an abnormal synchronized electrical discharge from a diseased area of the brain. Depending on where the seizure occurs in the brain, they can be associated with a very wide range of symptoms, including dizziness, disorientation, and even hallucinations. I recommend you see a neurologist for a full evaluation as soon as possible. If you have a seizure disorder it should be diagnosed and treated as soon as possible, since seizures not only affect your quality of life, but can make every day activities, like driving, very dangerous until the disorder is adequately treated by a doctor.