ZocdocAnswersWhy does my whole body hurt?

Question

Why does my whole body hurt?

I am 18 years old. I have neck,Back and headaces all the time from the time i wake up to the time i go to bed, even when im asleep. Im always tired and dont feel rested when i wake up. some times it gets so bad i cant move. iv been told its from stress but when i do things to help with my stress the pain is still there. i really need your help!

Answer

There are many reasons why could be experiencing this pain, and it is important to discuss this with your primary care physician. The first step to determining the cause of widespread body pain is to rule out an inflammatory condition such as a myopathy (inflammation of the muscles) or an inflammatory arthritis such as rheumatoid arthritis. If these types of conditions which are more unusual causes of your symptoms are ruled out, then you will likely be diagnosed with a myofascial pain syndrome such as fibromyalgia. This is a condition that causes widespread body pain, poor sleep, and headaches. This type of condition is actually quite common. I suggest that you schedule an appointment with your primary care physician. He or she can review your symptoms and decide what types of tests to send off first. I might send off some general blood work to look for inflammation (such as the ESR and CRP tests) along with an anti-nuclear antibody test (ANA) that looks for autoimmune diseases. I would send a CK to look for muscle inflammation. Statistically, all of these tests are likely to come back normal. If they are all normal, then I might consider sending you to an intense physical therapy and try a neuropathic pain medication under the assumption that this is fibromylagia.